Thursday, January 14, 2010

First Post

Well, after reading my close friend Blake's blog for quite some time, I've decided to start my own blog on blogspot, despite its stupid inability for readers to edit the posts they make. I made this as sort of a joint effort to write about my interests (videogames, toys, and movies mostly), and keep my typing skills sharp during my (thankfully) short tenure at MATC. While I do miss MLC, it just wasn't for me. The judgmental attitudes of many of the students, the extreme lack of organization for the STEP/Secondary Education program (does anyone know which one it's actually called?), and the inability to live off campus are just a few short reasons why I decided to end my time there.

I'd like to say that my dear friend Zachary D. Moyle being called to his Eternal Home didn't really have much to do with me wanting to leave MLC, but I have a feeling that deep down it affected me somehow. That being said, this past semester was an absolute blast, despite the death of two amazing friends, and the departure of two other very good friends from MLC. Thankfully, they visited every so often, even though one of them was afraid to step foot outside of my room most of the time. I met Hulk Hogan, watched movies with some dumb blonde girl for my Film class (which was an amazing class, and provided a very good commentary on Christian media as well), went to quite possibly the best DEX ever, and made fun of all of the self-righteous people with the friends I can trust. And I have a fair amount of good stories too. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to take Self-Defense & Softball, or one more class with Professor Timothy Schroeder, who is unfairly getting booted from MLC when it should be the Chapel Committee getting their calls revoked. Just kidding. But not really.

Normally, the living off campus thing wouldn't be a huge deal, but I guess in the end dorm life just isn't for me. The cleanliness level in the Concord dormitory was horrifying at some points. I have no idea if Summit is better or not, but I'm not staying to find out. The hallway closest to the front of the building smelled especially bad and musty. It was thanks to that group of guys that never showered and always read wacky books that they think are cooler than the Bible (at least that's my interpretation). One of my friends had a Biblical History and Literature class with one of the guys and she told me he claimed in class that, "The two disciples on the road to Emmaus were at the Lord's Supper. I read it in a book." Was that book the Bible? No? Then nobody gives a crap. I'm pretty sure I only saw a couple of them shower regularly, and it only reinforced my belief that most overweight men almost always smell really bad. Someone on campus thought that was kind of a rude thing to say, but hey, they were the ones reinforcing it, not me.

I recently celebrated my one year anniversary with my amazing girlfriend, and I've been sharing plenty of amazing times with her this past semester, although I doubt anything will top the six-month anniversary trip to Sanibel Island, Florida. Hopefully, my family will be taking both her and my sister's boyfriend (also my good friend) along with when we go to the Bahamas in June. We haven't had a family vacation in quite some time, so I'm really looking forward to it. Gotta make use of the ol' passport after all.

I'm already missing many of my best friends, including the girls I always hung out with, my former roommate (although now I get to spend more time with my other former roommate), and the other guys on my floor, although two of the ones that I was closest with also decided to leave at the end of last semester. Since then, I've pretty much just been sitting around at home, playing videogames, watching TV, surfing the Internet, doing homework, and finding other various hobbies to do in my spare time. Every three weeks or so I'll take a trip down to Milwaukee to see that crowd, but usually I just don't have time/don't feel like it. Maybe I'm getting old.

One thing I'm intending to do on this blog is to review things that I've been toying around with in my drastically increased free time now that I'm going to MATC. Mostly videogames, and possibly some anime and toys and stuff like that too, as I have an incredible backlog to work off of now.

I'll also probably just write every now and then on things going on in my life or things I have a strong opinion about. Maybe I'll write a bit on how stupid building a chapel is at MLC when we're already over budget on the donation money (go figure), pastors and teachers all over the synod are losing their jobs, and Prep's tuition rose by 33% over the span of one year. Hmm, is anyone else seeing a better place where the money could have gone? I could name about twenty different alternatives. Even if the donor of the money said it was to go towards a chapel, why not wait until, like, the economy is better and the synod isn't flat broke? Oh wait, that would be being a good steward of what we're given. From what I've seen, that's easily the WELS' biggest fault.

We'll see how often I do this, I hope to make it a habit of sorts. Gotta do something to keep myself sane and keep the parole officer off my back at the same time.

Up first, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, a critically acclaimed PS1 game from the 90's, and a staple of the adventure game genre. After that, I'll probably do Rise of Nations, an award-winning PC game from 2003. I've actually put quite a bit of time into Rise of Nations before, but I just recently found it at Best Buy for twenty bucks (and it came with the Expansion Pack too, which I've never played because I quit playing the game before the Expansion Pack came out), so I'm giving it another go. Somewhere down the line, I'm going to review the upcoming Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver versions, but I'd imagine I'll get to some other stuff before I get there.

Until then, lata playa.

2 comments:

  1. WELL HEY WELCOME TO BLOGSPOTS

    I'm not sure if the shamrock shake thing is a reference to that X-entertainment article, but that's one of my favorite ones on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELL HEY THANX.

    Actually yeah it sort of is, but also I just really like Shamrock Shakes, I'd get them all of the time in New Ulm. And wouldn't you know it, it's almost getting to be that time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you want, say what you need.