Saturday, January 23, 2010

Ehhhhhh

So I was going to do a game review of the now year-old Banjo-Kazooie for Xbox Live Arcade, but I'll save that for a different day (maybe tomorrow). Right now it's 8:48 in the morning on a Saturday, and I can't believe that I'm up this early. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers isn't on for another two hours.

A very tentative plan for today was concocted last night by Leah's mom to go up and surprise her older sister at MLC with all of her younger siblings, as sort of just a last minute thing. Unfortunately, they decided to cancel last minute, and this only affects me because I would have been able to go along. It would have been an exciting car ride, me and Leah could have played videogames on my laptop the whole way up, or she could have helped me with chemistry. I wouldn't have stayed at the hotel with her family, I would have probably stayed with someone in Concord. It would have been nice to see everyone, plus there's a DEX tonight, and DEX is always so much better than COS it isn't even funny. Oh well, I can always look forward to the 12th, with our ever growing group of people parading up the MLC for the end of Winter Carnival week. With the ever-lovable Jake Leibl coming with us, what could go wrong?

That being said, Leah's mom might still change her mind, which would be pretty sweet, although I'd have to do some careful last-minute planning with a couple certain girls to order a pizza. Wink wink.

Me and Leah have been working on a project since the last week of school up at MLC: watching all six of the Star Wars movies. Like any other normal person who isn't a murderous terrorist, I started her off with A New Hope. I was able to keep her attention all the way to the end of Return of the Jedi, at the end of which she cried her eyes out. Mission accomplished, I'd say. Now we're on Revenge of the Sith, and if the plans to go up to MLC fall through for today, then we get to watch Revenge of the Sith (easily the best of the prequel trilogy, I might add), on the big plasma TV with 7.1 sound. Never a bad date in my book.

Up on that note (sort of), the prequel movies haven't held her attention nearly as well as the original trilogy did. I've always disliked Attack of the Clones the most, but upon rewatching all three movies by myself a week or so into break, I've decided that I easily, easily hate Phantom Menace the most. The story in Phantom Menace is boring and makes no sense at all. I could go into great detail about how absolutely mind-numbingly stupid the plot (or lack thereof) of the Phantom Menace is, but that would be an entire blog post. A really long one. There's a one-hour video review of The Phantom Menace on YouTube that points out everything wrong with the movie. It's hilarious (as long as you're not offended by coarse language), but I won't link it here, lest this blog is being read by parents or the blokes from Ichabod. We wouldn't want something on here to be taken entirely out of context, or a constructive post on Evangelism Day turned into a weapon of personal vendetta.

So anyways, if you want to email me I could link you to the Phantom Menace review, or for those of you that popped on over from Facebook you could just find me on chat or message me. It's a very eye-opening review, and very hilarious if you have a good sense of humor.

The prequel trilogy will always be (to me at least) the definition of why it's stupid to flood the screen with special effects instead of a good story. This is especially true when you flood a movie with late 90's/early 2000's special effects, ala Phantom Menace. My first thought when I rewatched the Gungans Vs. the Droid Army scene at the end of Phantom Menace was, "Wow, this is a really open field, and everything that's on this really empty lifeless field reeks of CGI." Nice job, George Lucas. I think my viewpoint is confirmed by the fact that my girlfriend fell asleep during Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace, and didn't fall asleep once during the original movies. Nothing beats a good story with real, tangible people and real, tangible action scenes. One of my friends likes to argue that "well, it's his (George Lucas') story." So he sucks at directing and writing stories for the newest generation of movies. That's all that statement proves. I'd also like to make note that he wasn't as involved with the first movie (A New Hope) as most people think he is. And he didn't even direct Empire or Jedi. Coincidence? I think not.

Enough about that. Back on the topic of Evangelism Day (which is a great day), I can't help but feel it was marred a little bit by the presence of certain folk. These certain folk will remain unmentioned, but I'll give you a hint as to the identity of one: she's a girl pastor.

I've never liked the staff ministry program, and I never will. I think it's a waste of resources. But go figure at WELS wasting resources, I guess. I don't think women should ever help distribute communion, I believe it's a job for the men. Instead of cutting Professor Tim Schroeder's and Professor Jon Balge's jobs, why not cut out something we don't need? We don't need a staff ministry program. The entire basis of the staff ministry program is extremely shady, and I've heard nothing but complaints (from both adults and students alike) about Larry Olson. Mark Gnewuch told me back when I was applying for MLC at Lakeside that they were planning on phasing out the staff ministry program. I think they should speed that up, especially with the onset of the chapel being severely over budget (again, go figure).

I don't even need to rant about the chapel, the chapel was a stupid idea and it's always going to be a stupid idea. Worship isn't dictated by place. Worship is dictated by people coming together in God's name. Will this chapel help create better worship? Maybe, but I severely doubt it. If a person's faith in God is lifted by a building, then perhaps the public ministry isn't for him/her. After all, the organ in the auditorium is better than pretty much any WELS church could ever even hope to ask for, and the auditorium is an excellent place to worship. The organ is beautiful, it's easy to get students up on stage to perform instruments, there's an extremely large projector screen, the seating/view is magnificent, and there's plenty of room for every last person on campus to grab a seat. But hey, I hear 20-gallon (or whatever it was) Baptismal fonts are all the rage these days. Especially on a campus where everyone is likely Baptized.

Okay, that's enough before I get myself in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you want, say what you need.